Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Grand Canyon

Our first family vacation with Eli was to the Grand Canyon. Normally, I would not take my one year old on such a long flight but one of my best friends from college was getting married in Albuquerque, NM and I was not going to miss his wedding. So, if we were flying all the way out to NM, might as well drive to the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

I have never been to the Grand Canyon before and was excited about visiting it but nervous at the same time. I have a fear of heights, well not exactly heights, a fear of falling and with the Grand Canyon – a fear of falling off a cliff! Many of the trails at the Grand Canyon are unpaved, narrow, steep, and you are walking right on the edge. My husband has no problems with these types of trails but I know they are not for me.

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Grand Canyon. There is a trail which is called the Rim Trail. It is a six-mile trail around the south rim of the canyon. It is even wheelchair accessible which means it is Alison friendly. On this trail, you can see amazing views of the canyon and even see the Colorado River which runs through the canyon.

I was also surprised to see the shuttle system they have at the park. It is great that we can park our car in one place and take the shuttle to where we need to go.

As for our family vacation, it has been challenging at times since Eli is off his normal schedule but wonderful. I am relaxing right now while Eli takes his nap.

(Editor’s note: This post was written on June 24th but since there is no Internet access in the hotel room, it was posted as soon as I could get to it.)

2 comments:

Beccabec said...

I WANT PICTURES!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome to bring Eli to one of the Natural wonders!
Fear of heights? Oh yeah. Big one. I mean, gargantuan. I would never do well with the Grand Canyon and would probably kill John for getting my kid too close to it.