Friday, July 18, 2008

Girls will be Girls

A year ago, I was invited by a friend to join a Mommy’s group. It was wonderful. I barely knew anyone in my city since we had just moved here a few months before and I barely knew anyone living near me with children Eli’s age.

I loved my Mommy’s group. When I was on maternity leave, we got together for lunch, walks and playdates once or twice a week. When I went back to work, they accepted that I was a full time working mom and I was able to flex my work schedule to still meet up with the group once a week.

A year later, some things had changed behind the scenes that many of us were unaware of. Members were bitching and complaining to the group moderator about various things. We were told at a group meeting that the group was closing down because of it. The moderator said she has been cursed at, lied to etc and the group was not a positive influence in her life anymore.

It saddens me that it has come to this. If a member of the group did not like things going on, instead of cursing at the moderator- leave the group. Now a group which has been so good for myself and my son is closing down. This group has been such a big part of my life this past year and my closet friends here are from the group.

I know I will keep in touch with the people I became close to. I will not lose those friendships but I will probably lose touch with some of the acquaintances I have in the group.

A day after the group meeting, one of the moms from the group started a new Mommy’s group inviting the same people to join. Of course I will join. But, I am wondering, will we be going through the same thing a year later because “Girls will be Girls.”

As a good friend likes to say, “Can’t we all just get along?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, looks like cliques even affect mommy groups. Sorry to hear that, Ali, I know you liked that group. I'm sure the next group will be a little tighter to avoid the same thing from happening again.