Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What do you mean? It is the Year 2008!!!

Lowell decided to book us inside the Grand Canyon so we would be able to stay inside the park. Great choice, I thought. We arrive at Maslik Lodge to check in. The lodge seemed nice. There is a cafeteria inside, a gift shop, decent sized lobby. We get our room key and drive to our building. I notice that there are fans in all the windows and ask Lowell if we will have air conditioning. (Thinking, we better have air conditioning. It is over 90 degrees outside). Lowell says he believes we have air conditioning. Why wouldn’t we have air conditioning.

We open the door to our room and sure enough, there are two fans in the room but no AC. No AC- I could live but I have a one year old to consider. Lowell says he was never told that there would be no AC. Just that he was booked for a standard room. (Shouldn’t a standard room have AC in 90 degree weather?) I asked Lowell to confirm that he was never told there would be no AC and once again he said he was not told. Then, I got on the phone with the manager. She was very nice and told me they had one room left was AC but the rate was double. Double, for air conditioning! I explained to her that we were never told there would be no AC. (Are you tired of hearing that yet?) She said if we spend an extra $20 a night, she could move us to the new room. An extra $20 a night was much better than an extra $80 a night. I told her we would take it.

Being the year 2008, who would think to ask if a room comes with air conditioning!

1 comment:

Beccabec said...

That is insane! Of all the questions to ask when you book a hotel having air conditioning in the middle of the desert would not be one of them. Good for you to negotiate too!