Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh, to hold a sick child

Eli and I were playing last night as usual. We were driving his cars around the room, practicing walking etc. I picked him up to put him to sleep and noticed how hot he was. Now, I am not the type of mom to flip out anytime my son seems a little warm but he was hot! I took his temperature- 101.7. I don't think he has ever had a fever that high before.

I snuggled with him and put him in his crib. Eli fell asleep right away. I called the night nurse and was asked a series of questions. I was told to check on him every 4 hours. Check his breathing, look for swelling, look for any type of skin rash.

Lowell happened to be out grocery shopping while all of this was happening. When he came home, the dogs started barking as usual and Eli woke up. I took Eli into bed with me to try to calm him down. I figured if I needed to check on him every four hours, it would be easiest to have him sleep in between us. Unfortunately, sleep is something that no one had last night.

After a night of lots of crying and lots of cuddling, I took Eli to the doctor. The doctor checked his ears and his throat. His ears were fine but his throat was a little red but luckily not strep throat. Hand, foot, and mouth disease is going around in our playgroup so I need to be on the lookout for it. It starts with a fever and then a few days later, the blisters appear.

So, Eli is now happily drugged on Infant's Motrin and Infant's Tylenol. He fell asleep for his nap. I am back at work for now, until he wakes up.

Keep your fingers crossed for us that it is just a fever and not Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease. Hopefully, my baby will be feeling better soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ack! The dreaded HF&M disease! I hope he feels better soon. I just saw a post on Momformation about that and am now keeping a close eye on the kid for any signs.