Friday, September 5, 2008

Impressions - Spin, Spin, Spin

I love this week's Spin for Impressions. There is so much you can do with this. I will talk about First Impressions and how they have changed over the years.

When I went for my job interviews after college, first impressions were about how you looked, how you presented yourself, how you spoke, etc. Now, your first impression comes before you are even greeted by your interviewer.

I interview for my company and before I even meet my interviewee for the first time, I Google the person. You can learn a lot from Google. I usually stop at that point but I have talked to other people who interview and facebook and myspace and also very popular places to get a first impression of who you are going to interview. The web can teach you a lot about a person.

For example, when we sold our house in Florida, our first offer came back $25,000 less that what we wanted. (and this was when it was a seller's market). I googled the buyers and said if they were teachers, this may be what they can afford but if they were attorneys- no way were we marking down our price. Sure enough, the potential buyers were both attorneys. We counter offered and offered to pay some of the closing costs. SOLD! By googling our potential buyers, we were able to keep the price of our house what we wanted it to be.

Each time you post a picture on the web or write an article for the web, you have to think about who may be seeing it and how could that hurt you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done and quick too!
You're linked!

Anonymous said...

you are so right! although if you google my name, you really don't get much I guess maybe because I log on and register everything with my initials - nothing to hide, I guess it's just trying to secure my privacy some.

Good job on setlling your house though.

Evenspor said...

Great point. I saw an article about this. Apparently it is a very common practice with employers now, so we should all be careful what we post, both about ourselves and other people.

HeatherPride said...

That's true - I google myself every now and then to make sure I don't link to anything too weird!

HarryJack's Mom said...

It definitely makes you think twice - great spin. I'm just wondering if your 'first impressions' change as you get older or your priorities change? Do you find that now that you have you little guy?