Friday, August 29, 2008

A Different Breed

Editor’s note: This is the first post that if certain people I know see it, they may be upset. My apologies. I am not trying to upset anyone. I like everyone referenced in this note. I am just different.

I am involved with a mom’s group and being the only full time worker, I look at things differently than the other moms. An e-mail went out to the group about a good website to buy Halloween costumes from. There were great costumes on the site but expensive. The average cost of a costume was between $30 and $40 dollars. Last year during Halloween, Eli was 5 months old. He did not care what he wore. Lowell and I went to the Gap Outlet and bought a costume that was 50% off. I think we spent $15 dollars at the most.

This year, Eli will still not care what he is dressed up as. Lowell and I will probably go buy another costume when the sales start.

With Lowell and I being the only two income family in the group, we also seem to be the family who tries to save the most. We try to buy all of Eli’s clothes on sale, we don’t buy a new toy for him every week and for his birthday, we put money into Eli’s savings and gave him a small gift instead of buying a huge gift for him. (How many 1 year olds care what they get for their birthday?)

Who knows? Maybe the moms’ husbands make 6 figure incomes and money is no object. Maybe they do not have to worry about money. But, with the economy as bad as it is and I only see it getting worse for a while, I worry. I try to not overspend and try to save where I can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100%

I remember parents last year bough EXPENSIVE costumes for their children whereas I got basic costumes so the kids can participate in the school activities and I think maybe I spent $40 - $50 total for 3 costumes. And I have to say they were actually alot nicer and looked better than the expensive ones.

You have to do what is right for you and your family. The best thing is to save as much money as possible because the economy just gets worse and worse and the better we manage ourselves the better we will end up.

I too do not go crazy and buy the kids toys, etc. I actually have a lot of hand-me-down toys that the kids see as brand new!

some might call me cheap, I consider my family to be cautious.

Beccabec said...

You go, girl! I got Abby's last year costume for around $10 last year. I went out shopping fr this year's costume when everything went on sale last year in November. I have an adorable costume for her that I spent $6 (75% off at Old Navy)

I am so on the bandwagon with you.

Fran said...

Krystal is right you have to do what is right for you and not care what others say. Good for you!!!!
Fran

Anonymous said...

Brava! Sprite's costume was $10.00 at Target which lasted precisely two minutes before she decided she wanted it off. This year, she will be a fairy. I have an eye on another Target costume which is $15.00 and I am waiting for the sale..