Monday, August 25, 2008

The End of Summer is Near - Part 2

When I lived in Florida, the end of summer was welcomed. No more sweat, perspiration, feeling of yuckiness. Now that I live in a place where it actually gets cold, I do not look forward to the end of summer. But, this past weekend, I got more evidence that the cold air is coming.

I have had asthma my entire life. Something I know how to take care or and something I live with. I usually don't even go to the doctor when my asthma attacks because I have all the medication I need at home. My asthma usually is worse in the colder months of the year.

Well, this past weekend, the second sign of colder months ahead appeared- my asthma. I had been having trouble breathing and was easily winded and my rescue inhaler was not giving me the extra air that I need to so I brought out my neubulizer and gave myself a breathing treatment. To this day, I am still on 3-4 treatments a day and hope that that number will decrease soon.

Unfortunately, last night, my son became sick. At first I thought it was the standard chest congestion, cold symptoms etc. But, this morning when I took him out of the crib, he was breathing very quickly and he was very warm. I gave him some Tylenol and called the pediatrician as soon as the office opened. We got an appointment and I took him in.

The pediatrician did not want to call it asthma but poor Eli and I are going through the same symptoms right now. They also gave Eli two breathing treatments at the office today. If was so painful for me. You have to hold a mask over his face for 10 minutes while he inhales the medicine. Eli screamed the entire time and I screamed inside that there was not more I could do for the little guy. Now, I have to give Eli breathing treatments at home for the next 10 days.

Before it was time for Eli's first breathing treatment at home, it was time for my treatment. Instead of using the adult mouthpiece, I put on the child's mask and showed Eli how mommy does her breathing treatment. At first Eli stayed clear away from me, then he walked over to me and tried to give me a kiss through the mask.

When it was time for Eli's treatment, he cried but not as violently. I think tomorrow, we may let Elmo wear the breathing treatment mask and see what Eli thinks.

I am sad that Eli may have asthma (even though the pediatrician will not say it). I am lucky that I know how to handle it since I have had it my entire life. I am just hoping that by nursing for Eli for 14 months that he has built the immunities to fight this disease. I will be fighting it with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one asthma mommy to another - I know where you are coming from.

I have lived with asthma all my life and it is controlled now. Recently, after 2 years of fighting with doctors, Little Man was diagnosed with cough variant asthma!

We went through 2 months of 3x/day albuterol treatments and 2x/day of pulmicort treatments in conjuntcion with 1x/day singulair.

Now, we have it controlled - every day he MUST have his singulair nad has an emergency albuterol inhaler in his bookbag just in-case.

Keep up the fight and trust your mommy instincts - like I said, it took me 2 years to get in writing what I had known all along.

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ali! I remember when you and I were walking around the track in middle school because of your asthma. Your asthma gave us time to talk and become good friends. I have to thank your asthma, because 18 years later, you are still so close to my heart.
But Eli? He's so lucky. Because you know how asthma affected your life. You know what to do. You will have the level head when/if he begins to panic from asthma attacks. I know it hurts to see him going through it, but you will be the strongest warrior when he needs it.
I hope this is a fluke, and maybe just a bad virus that triggered your asthma and maybe triggered a reaction in him, but if he is diagnosed, he'll be so much calmer since he has you to look up to.
So, how is Elmo responding to treatments? Does he still sound like he's on helium after?