Monday, August 11, 2008

The End of an Era – Almost

Well, we are so close to ending nursing. I can now put Eli down for a nap and down for the night without nursing him.

Eli has never slept through the night. He usually wakes up once during the night and I nurse him for 5 minutes and he is out until morning. Now, is the time to break that habit. Eli woke up at 5:45am this morning crying. I let him cry for a few minutes and realized that the crying would not be stopping. So, I went downstairs and filled a sippy cup with milk. I took Eli out of the crib and tried to give him the milk. He screamed and tried to lift my shirt. I told him that we drink milk out of a cup.

Well needless to say, Eli screamed for over an hour and I tried every way to calm him down: holding him and rocking him, singing to him, a little Tylenol (I don’t normally drug my kid but he has a molar coming through and maybe that was the problem), changing his diaper, turning on the television. Nothing worked.

I woke up Lowell and asked for his help. He tried to give Eli some milk from the cup. He brought Eli in bed with us. Nothing worked.

Finally, I put Eli back in his crib and told him it was still time for “Night, Night”. He cried for about 15 more minutes and then went to sleep.

Any advice from other moms on how to break the middle of the night wakings and how to calm my son down without nursing?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only one suggestion. SEND THE HUSBAND IN! If Eli sees the girls, he's gonna go for the good stuff!

Beccabec said...

Jen took my advice right out of my mouth! Send Lowell in!

Give Eli no alternative but for the sippy cup of milk with Lowell. I had to basically hide for two weeks first thing in the morning until breakfast was underway to wean.

Good luck and we are always here for advice!