Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Free Meal is a Good Meal Even if you have to Send it Back Twice!!

If I like a restaurant, I tend to join their e-mail club. The free appetizer, $5 off coupons add up.

Well last week, I got a free VIP dinner at Longhorn steakhouse which included two entrees and an appetizer. I called right away to make my reservation but the only time they had remaining was 9pm. That time would not work with Eli's schedule and we did not want to pay a babysitter to get a free meal.

I called back the restaurant and said we could not find a babysitter and time is too late for our son and was lucky to get an earlier reservation the next day!

We ordered buffalo wings as an appetizer and Lowell ordered a rack of ribs for his meal and I ordered the Fillet (something I would never order because it is so much more expensive than the rest of the menu). We ordered grilled chicken and veggies for Eli. (I am very happy when a restaurant has grilled chicken on the kids menu).

The appetizer was a little spicy for me but came out hot and had good flavor to it. Eli's food looked very appetising. Salad, bread etc was good. Then the main meals come out. The ribs were a portion size that even Lowell could not finish. My fillet looked delectable and then I cut into it. I ordered it medium and it came out still alive! It was rare. Not a big deal, we got a free dinner because the restaurant staff was in training, I sent it back.

Literally, it took 15 minutes for me to get my fillet back. I cut into it, it is still rare. Even the sides are still rare. I sent it back again. By the time I got the fillet back a second time, I was not hungry any more, and Lowell and Eli have long since finished eating. I did bite into the fillet because I wanted to try it and it was delicious. I boxed up the rest.

But, I can't complain. Our bill came out to be our $57 and it was all free. I expected to pay for Eli but they threw in his meal. I left a nice, big tip as a thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Moo!"
Sorry, couldn't help it. Poor cow..
He he, grilled chicken on the kid's meal? Sounds better than anywhere else, but the Longhorn near us closed. :-(

Anonymous said...

awesome! sounds yummy - thanks for making me hungrier than I already am!!

Anytime there is grilled chicken on a kid's meal - you know they are doing something right - so what if it takes a while to get the fillet done correctly?