Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Sense of Relief

My company announced major layoffs today. It was announced on the local news, the Today show etc. This is how I found out about the layoffs- an instant message from a coworker telling me to “google” the story.

Looking at my calendar, my manager just scheduled 15 minutes with me for the afternoon. Fifteen minute meetings are not normal and under the circumstance, I began to panic. It was 9am when my panic began and I did not want to wait six hours to meet with my manager and find out my fate.

I sent her an instant message and said that I heard some rumors and if she had five free minutes to please call. Luckily I was on the phone with her a few minutes later and found out I was safe in this round of lay offs.

I feel so bad though. The rumor is 5,000 employees were laid off and some people from my division are gone. Jobs are being shipped overseas. It really makes me angry and upset that a company has to send jobs overseas. The US is struggling enough and this situation does not help.

But enough about politics. I hate talking about politics and have never liked government.

I feel relived that I still have a job but scared that it could be taken away from me at a moment’s notice.

1 comment:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Crossing my fingers for you, Ali, and relieved you weren't one of the victims.