Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Three Day Sleep Method - Night 1

Eli is still not sleeping through the night. He wakes up once at night and I nurse him back to bed. I know, a bad habit. But, now since he is a year old, I need to break him of the habit.

My friend sent me the "Three day sleep solution." Basically, I no longer nurse him to sleep and put him into the crib awake and let him fall asleep (cry) on his own. The book states to let him process (cry) for an hour before you go in and check on him. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, let him process (cry) for an hour before you check on him.

Well, here is how it went for night #1. I read Eli a book and then put him in his crib at 7:15pm. (The book said that 6:30pm is the appropriate bed time for a 1 year old but I felt that was a little early, especially when Eli usually does not go to sleep until 7:30pm.) So anyway, I let Eli process (cry) for the hour. The book said "most" babies will fall asleep before that hour completes. Not Eli, he processed for an hour before I went in his room to check on him.

He was hysterical. I picked him up and he was still upset. So, I nursed him to sleep. It only took him 5 minutes and he was out! So, I guess tomorrow will be Night 1 and we will start this process again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oy, that process sounds so technical. "Processing?" Is Eli drowsy when you put him in his crib? I'm wishing you luck on this!