Saturday, November 22, 2008

Going Against the Rules

I have been so busy with work that I have not been able to post here often. I hope it slows down soon so I can fill the web pages with all the accomplishments my little one is undertaking.

Today, though, when I write I am going against the rules. Why, you say? Well, I said that I would not write about my MIL on here. I wouldn't because it is a sore topic between my husband and I and he occasionally reads the blog.

MIL was on IM with husband and looking for flights to visit. She gave him two options of dates in January - a 6 day trip or 7 day trip. Hubby asked me which I preferred and I said the 6 day trip. Why? - he asked. Because it is shorter, I say and he laughs.

Hubby goes back and tell his mom that the 6 day trip is the preferance. A few minutes later, MIL books her flight and it is not for either the 6 or 7 day trip. It is for a 10 day trip. 10 DAYS!!!!! I don't know how I will survive that trip. I can't survive 7 days trips without my blood pressure coming out and numerous fights with hubby about MIL. 10 days of criticism, comments and questions - my blood pressure has already rised and the trip is not for a month and a half.

So, how does hubby feel about this? For once, he actually agrees with me. He actually told his mom that she will need to get a hotel because ten days is too long. It has been a long time since hubby and I have come to some type of agreement about his mom. Unfortunately, I know her and she will not book a hotel unless pressed and pressed so we will see what happens. If she stays here for 10 days, I may end up kicking her out of the house before the trip finishes.

How do you handle your overbearing MIL (or mom)? One who wants you to raise your child- her way. One who does not understand how things have changed since 30 years ago and one who has a comment and question about everything.

2 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sweetie, you know how I feel about the whole thing. Be upfront and honest and respectful, but tell her how it goes. Your house, your kid, your rules!
My MIL and I used to have BIG problems. We get along really well now because she and I came to the understanding that she can spoil Sprite with all the love she wants, but John and I make the rules.
Your husband did right to stand up for you and your sanity.
10 days? Oy. I'm putting you in my prayers!

Beccabec said...

I just stick Josh on his mom. I know that it is easy for me to say just ignore her but 10 days is a lot of ignoring if she doesn't have anything nice to say.